- Retrofittable system for real time monitoring of train doors
- Non-intrusive, 15 minute installation time per door
- Logs door velocity profile and compares to known standard
- On-board processing converts data to health indicators
- Early identification of wear reduces expensive in-service failures and reduces maintenance costs
The Instrumentel Door Diagnostics Unit (DDU) is an innovative solution to monitor the performance of train door systems. It is a cost-effective, non-intrusive system that can be rapidly retro-fittable to existing rolling stock to create automated ‘health indicators’, that can inform more effective and targeted maintenance, and reduce expensive in-service failures.
The solution comprises an Instrumentel Diagnostic Hub attached to the train vestibule in a fixed position and a door strip comprising a row of RFID tags attached to the train door. The system monitors the door position at 15ms intervals to determine the door velocity throughout the open and close cycle and powerful onboard processors determine the ‘health’ of the door against a known standard. This data is transmitted over a network to a database for storage and analysis, allowing a detailed profile of the door behaviour including historical trends to be created.
The sampled data can be transmitted over an existing communications network using a proprietary or standard communications protocols, such as: WiFi, Bluetooth, Zig-bee, Ethernet, CAN, USB, modbus etc.
The system can be rapidly expanded to monitor other train parameters and systems, such as Heating Air-conditioning and Ventilation (HVAC).